The first residential trip of 2017

Hey guys;

So, as you’ve probably aware by now, last week I went on a residential trip. This was to be the first residential trip of the year, and…might be the only residential trip throughout this year, if I failed to secure places on club trips. Also this was the first time that a residential trip have occurred so early on in the year. From 2010 to 2012 and in 2014, I have to wait until late January. In 2013 I have to wait until September, in 2015 I have to wait until late October, and in 2016 I have to wait until mid March.

In fact, the trip that took place last week could have taken place in 2016, but…as you all know 2016 is notorious for throwing setbacks into my plans, and so as a result the trip was delayed until last week. But this also means that, no matter what happened throughout the year, I’m guaranteed to be able to write about a residential trip when writing my year wrap up summary later in December. This means…this will be the 8th year in a row that a residential trip had been included as the best event of the year.

Anyways, let’s get to the trip itself…

The trip took place from January 7th to January 8th, as expected from a university residential trip. I went to Hua Hin this time, which is nice…for both the 2015 and 2016 residential trips I’ve been to virtually the same place and I’ve participated in virtually the same activities, so…a change in the location and activities is always welcome.

Just like the first 2 residential trips at university, the van was the main transportation. But instead of boarding the van at the International College building, I boarded the van at my old dorm.

There were around 9 people on the trip, consisting of a few university staff and a handful of students. The first major place we stopped was a school. The school was huge! Not sure if it’s bigger than ST Andrews or my best friend’s house, but certainly it’s very big. After that we went to have some nice lunch, before stopping at a market to buy up some fresh seafood for the dinner.

The place we stayed in was a resort next to the beach. We picked a big house to stay in. And…man the house was big! There were 2 bedrooms, 2 toilets and a kitchen with a dining area. However only the bedrooms are air-conditioned.

Once we get there and settled into the house, I immediately inflated the inflatable toys (just in case you didn’t know by now, I really love inflatable toys. They’re fun to play with. Feel free to call me crazy/insane, I don’t really care much. I respect your constitutional rights to do so, so you should respect my constitutional rights to possess these toys as well) I brought along with me (a ring and a unicorn/horse/Pegasus), and prepared to go play in the oceans. There were no swimming pools, so…that left the sea as the only place to go. And…the water was cold! But that’s to be expected, given that the sky had been cloudy the whole day.

I spent a good half an hour or so in the ocean, before returning to the house to shower and get ready for dinner. Dinner that day was, surprise, a BBQ! Yeah, it’s the second week in a row that I had BBQ for dinner! But instead of steaks, sausages and salmon, there were seafood (shrimp, octopus, etc). Also there were french fries, which was just…great!

After dinner we went out for a night market, but I didn’t buy anything as there’s nothing interesting to buy, and that pretty much finishes the day…

The next day I spent most of the morning relaxing and packing my stuff. I decided to only deflate the ring because…I’m too lazy to deflate the unicorn/horse/Pegasus, and I’m quite confident I can carry it on the van as it’s not very big.

We left at around 10:30 or 11:00 in the morning. The first place we went to was a park that showcases the statues of Thai kings who had ‘The Great’ as part of their titles. After that, apart from a quick return to the resort to pick up some stuff, we went to a floating market for lunch.

The unique feature of this floating market is that, there’s a mock train running between the front and the back of the market. And…the ride really feels like the real train! Once again there weren’t much to buy, although I did ended up buying a hat and a shirt for 200 baht in total.

After that we went to another market, which, to my surprise, there’s actually a hotel/resort inside the market. Once again there’s not much to buy. After that it’s all the way back to Mahidol University, with a quick stop at Phetchaburi, where I managed to buy up lots of snacks for a total of around 509 baht. We ended up arriving back inside the campus at around 6PM or y7PM, which marks the end of the trip.

Overall, I must say the trip was great fun, although compared to previous residential trips I’ve went to this one was not so great, because firstly it’s a very short trip, and secondly there weren’t many people on the trip. It was since like the Khorat trip in mid 2014 that there were more than 30 people participating, and it was since the Mae Sot trip in November 2014 that a residential trip lasted for more than 2 nights!

Anyways, that’s it for now…


Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s